Joseph R. Casey
Joe Casey is an Iowa trial lawyer whose practice centers on commercial, financial, and injury litigation. He represents both corporate and individual plaintiffs on contingency.
Joe has substantial experience with high-stakes litigation. In the time since he began his career at a national commercial firm, Joe has represented businesses in matters against some of the best- funded and best-defended companies in the United States, including corporations with annual revenues in excess of $1 billion dollars. Joe’s corporate clients range from major industry players to mom-and-pop local businesses.
Joe also represents consumers and injury victims in a wide array of claims, including product liability, legal malpractice, and medical malpractice. As one of the few lawyers who handles cyberfraud claims for consumers, Joe has spearheaded federal cases on behalf of victims of cryptocurrency scams and even innovated new methods for pursuing defendants who hide behind novel technology. He has also published and been asked to teach continuing legal education (CLE) seminars on legal and technology issues, such as the ethical use of artificial intelligence (AI), cryptocurrency litigation, and notable trial outcomes for “frontier torts” (a term used to describe causes of action that seek to apply existing law to new and emerging harms).
Joe is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, a ranking achieved solely through peer review and reflecting “the highest level of processional excellence for legal expertise, communication skills, and ethical standards.” In 2023, Joe was named to Lawdragon’s inaugural 500X Next Generation list, a guide featuring young lawyers who have “vaulted to the forefront of the legal profession” and “who will define where the legal profession of our country goes.” He has also been named a “Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer” and “Top 10 Business Tort Trial Lawyer” by National Trial Lawyers, as well as a Great Plains Rising Star by Super Lawyers in its business litigation, professional liability, and medical malpractice categories. He has also been selected to the “Ones to Watch” list by Best Lawyers in America in the areas of medical malpractice and personal injury.
Joe also has deep roots in the State of Iowa and the legal profession. When he graduated from law school, he became the fourth generation in his family to study law, practice law, or serve on the bench in Iowa. In his spare time, Joe enjoys traveling, learning guitar, attending concerts, reading, hydroponic gardening, and spending time with loved ones. He serves on several local boards and is active in his local church.
- Certificate in Multi-District Litigation, Bolch Judicial Institute at Duke University
- J.D., Drake University Law School
- B.A., Baylor University
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- AAJ Legislative Working Group on Cryptocurrency and Digital Assets
- American Association for Justice (Business Torts Section)
- American Bar Association
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Federal Bar Association
- Iowa Association for Justice
- Iowa State Bar Association
- National Crime Victim Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Trustee, Justice for All PAC
- AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Top 40 Under 40 – Civil Plaintiff, National Trial Lawyers
- Great Plains Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- LDX 500 (Next Generation of Leading Lawyers), Lawdragon
- Top 10 Business Tort Trial Attorneys – Iowa, National Trial Lawyers
- Board of Directors, Central Iowa Shelter & Services
- Finance Committee, Catholic Charities of Des Moines
- Board Member, Drake University Law School Recent Alumni Engagement Board
- Volunteer, Society of St. Vincent de Paul